With a unique culture, unspoilt natural beauty and ancient traditions, the island of Chiloe awaits you with its rich folklore, exceptional cuisine, and famous houses built on stilts, all of which led the New York Times to rank the island among the top 45 places to visit in 2012.
Let us bring you up close to the island’s rich spiritual culture, based on a unique mythology of witchcraft, ghost ships and beings that inhabit the forests, a mythology that has shaped generations of life on Chiloe. Taste the famous curanto stew, made from meat, potatoes and seafood, which is cooked in a hole in the ground by a local family who will welcome you into their home. Spend some time with an indigenous community and discover the island’s colorful architecture, famous for over 150 anointed wooden churches, 16 of which have been declared UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Chiloe is definitely worth a visit!
• 3 day (2 night trip)
• Arrival and departure transfers between Puerto Montt or Castro airport or Puerto Varas and your hotel, as well as daily excursions
• Church tours
• Eating oysters in Caulin
• Follow Charles Darwin’s steps in the Chiloe National Park
• Discover the wild side of Chiloe with a trekking expedition in the Tantauco park
• Sail around the island’s archipelago in a wooden ship
• Take part in a traditional curanto lunch with locals
• Sailing excursion to the penguin colony at Puñuhuil
• Cycling through villages
• Kayaking in Chepu
• Extension to Puerto Varas